How to crack Grade 10
For those coming from ninth grade, tenth must be a daunting task, a challenge, something that seems insurmountable, but the truth is, tenth is actually quite easy. It’s just another ordinary school year, but this time you have an important exam at the end. Even the exam is similar to the ones you write in school. Just a different venue and some nice paper to write it on. You’ll be surrounded by friends and classmates, making the environment friendlier. With the removal of the CCE pattern of examinations, that final exam carries 70% of your final grade not 30%. So without any further ado, let me give you some tips on how to crack class 10.
- Nothing Replaces Classroom Teaching: The first one is a fairly simple one – pay attention during class. Most of you must think that this is fairly obvious but most people take teaching periods easy, from sleeping to talking in between class. Here lies your first mistake. Paying attention really does help. If you pay attention your workload for studying reduces drastically, no need to go for tuition to redo everything done in school because you weren’t paying attention in school.
- Regular Studies: Another tip is to study a little every day. Studying for exams is like tackling a large project, you can’t do it in one go, you need to do a little every day and go about it methodically. If you study every day, you understand where you are lacking and what you have to work on to improve yourself. Once you understand where you are weak, you can clear it up and not leave anything for the last moment. Trying to do everything a week or two before the exams will almost always fail. This may sound difficult at first, but over time this becomes easy and becomes a habit. Studying every day is important for subjects like Mathematics and Social Science.
- Student’s Best Friend, Question Papers: The best way to study for an exam is by solving question papers, be it last year’s paper, sample papers, practice papers, they all help. Papers get you used to the boards way of questioning. Many-a-times questions are repeated across question papers, if you’ve already learnt or attempted the question before while studying. Papers also allow help with time management during an exam. There are many reference books with questions papers and solutions available in the market. There also many websites providing papers for download, such as – www.jsuniltutorial.com , www.mycbseguide.com.
- Regular Breaks: However all studies and no relaxation helps nobody. The mind needs time to relax and de-stress. One of the ways of doing this is by developing a voracious appetite for books. Books also help in developing an excellent vocabulary. This helps not just in exams but also in the future as well. Another way of relaxing is by playing sports. As the saying goes ‘a healthy mind rests in a healthy body’, sports keeps you fit and keeps the mind sharp. However in the rush of playing sports one cannot neglect studies. A balance is necessary.
- Textbook is the Most Important: Many people often buy reference books like guides and question banks etc. while these do have their uses, but the textbook is the final authority. Nothing will come from outside the textbook, if one knows the textbook well, they are all set. Questions can come from any obscure corner of the textbook. The Board will only reference their prescribed textbook while creating questions. This doesn’t mean to completely ignore reference book. Some books are very useful, like the RD Sharma textbook for math is a very well-known textbook and has helped many a student over the years, but always give preference to the school textbook.
Following these steps is not the only way to achieve success in grade 10 and it is definitely not a sure fire method of success, but following these steps will help you do better. Good luck and all the best for your 10th.
About the Author
Keval Anekar is a 16 year old student. He aspires to study abroad. He writes to share what he has learnt with confused students to be of some help. He is a student at Ivy Aspire